This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
The 10 Greatest Quotes About Greed
There’s no getting away from the fact that many individuals out there have the insatiable desire to have more things, money, or power than they actually need. Actually, this is the root cause of all sins. Many people have been murdered because of the vice, which is condemned by nearly all religions. Don’t forget that murder is one of the greatest sins that human beings can ever do.
Generally, greed is frowned upon by almost everyone. Nobody wants to associate with a greedy person because that person is less likely to add value to their lives. To discourage the vice, many groups of people have come up with quotes about greed. From philosophers and religious leaders to authors and other influential individuals from all walks of life, the list is pretty much endless.
Having said that, I thought I would compile a list of all-time quotes about greed. You can read these quotes to discover what the world thinks about the insatiable desire to have more things, money, or power than one actually needs.
10 Greed Quotes:
1. “Avarice hoards itself poor; charity gives itself rich.” – This greed quote originates in Germany.
2. “Greed is a bottomless pit, which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.” – by Erich Seligmann Fromm, who was a German democratic socialist, humanistic philosopher, psychoanalyst, social psychologist, and sociologist.
3. “The ignorant mind, with its infinite afflictions, passions, and evils, is rooted in the three poisons. Greed, anger, and delusion.” – The creator of this greed quote was Bodhidharma, a Chinese semi-legendary Buddhist monk who lived between the 5th and 6th centuries.
4. “There is no greater disaster than greed.” – This quote was created by Lao Tzu, an ancient Chinese philosopher who is estimated to have lived between the 6th century and 4th century BC.
5. “Greed is not a financial issue. It’s a heart issue” – By Charles Andy Stanley; a 62-year-old American founder and senior pastor of North Point Ministries, which is located alongside several in Atlanta, Georgia.
6. “Greed takes away the conscience of an individual.”—-By Errolle Nyandeke Ouma, a copywriter, blogger cum entrepreneur.
7. “Necessity is the mother of all inventions, but greed is the mother of all evils.” – https://www.speakingtree.in/blog/greed-mother-of-all-evils
8. “He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with what he would like to have.” – Socrates, an ancient Greek philosopher who lived in Athens in the 5th century BCE.
9. “Earth provides enough to satisfy every man’s needs, but not every man’s greed.” – By Mahatma Gandhi who was the leader of the nationalist movement against the British rule of India, a social activist, a politician, a lawyer, and a writer.
10. “He who loves the more is the inferior and must suffer.” – By Thomas Mann who was a German social critic, novelist, essayist, short story writer, the 1929 Nobel Prize in Literature laureate, and a philanthropist.
Greed has no place in the society. It’s a vice that should be defeated by all justifiable and reasonable means to make the world a better place. One of those is through quotes from influential people. By creating powerful quotes about greed, famous people aim to urge the greedy to quit the vice. It’s not surprising that the quotes above have helped changed a lot of people out there for the better. For those who are struggling with greed, maybe reciting the quotes can help you quit the insatiable desire to have more things, money, or power than you actually need. With nothing more to add, good luck with that.